Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for carers in Croydon

information and advice factsheet image

Looking for information on your caring role? You're in the right place!

NEW! We have a brand new local directory of services, support and activities for Croydon carers. Take a look.

Our FAQs answer common questions from local carers. Click on the question for a drop-down answer.

If your question isn't answered here, take a look at our How To Guides. This series of 11 downloadable factsheets brings together what you need to know as a carer in Croydon. Topics include practical help, money, housing, health and more: download the factsheets.

Please note that information on our website is general information only. For personalised advice, contact us.

Am I a carer?

A carer looks after a family member, friend, partner or neighbour who needs support due to illness, disability or old age. The help carers give is unpaid, though you may still receive Carer’s Allowance or other benefits. You do not have to care full time, receive Carer’s Allowance or live with the person you care for to be a carer.

As a carer, you are doing a vital job, but you don't have to do it alone. Find advice and support for carers in Croydon at the Carers Support Centre.

I don’t live in the same borough/county as the person I care for – where do I go for help?

It is the duty of the local authority (council) where the person you care for lives to assess their care and support needs and your needs as a carer. For example, if the person you care for lives in Sutton, the London Borough of Sutton would be responsible for assessing their support needs and offering you a Carer’s Assessment.

The Carers Information Service provides information and advice on all aspects of being a carer in Croydon. If you care for someone in a different borough, find your local carers organisation.

Am I entitled to any financial support or discounts for being a carer?

Carers can often get free or reduced entry to tourist attractions and leisure facilities. Some organisations have their own systems for identifying carers and disabled people. If evidence is required, you may be able to use a disability benefit award letter, Carer's Allowance award letter or Blue Badge letter as proof of your caring role. If not available, a letter from the GP or social services could be used. See our Leisure and Holidays (opens as PDF) factsheet for more information on leisure and holiday discounts.

Our factsheet on Grant-Giving Organisations (opens as PDF) has a list of grants you may be eligible for. Turn2Us also offers an online grant finder service. If you are care for a disabled child or young person aged 17 or under, you could also benefit from a Family Fund grant.

The main benefit for carers is Carer’s Allowance. See our FAQ on Carer’s Allowance below for more information.

You and the person you care for may also be entitled to other disability or means-tested benefits. For information on money and benefits, download our Money Matters factsheet (opens as PDF).

What is Carer's Allowance and how can I claim it?

Carer’s Allowance is the main benefit for carers. It is currently £64.60 a week from April 2018. The rate generally changes each year. To qualify for Carer's Allowance, you must:

  • Be aged 16 or older.
  • Care at least 35 hours a week for someone who is receiving a qualifying disability benefit.
  • Not be in full-time education (over 21 hours a week).
  • Not earn over £120 a week (after some allowable deductions such as tax and National Insurance contributions).
  • Satisfy UK presence and residence conditions - see Citizens UK for details.

Qualifying benefits are:

  • Attendance Allowance (AA) or Constant Attendance Allowance.
    Middle or higher rate care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA).
  • Either rate of the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP).
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment.
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment Constant Attendance Allowance (of £67.20 or more paid with an industrial injuries disablement, war or service pension).

You can only receive Carer’s Allowance once, even if you care for more than one person. If you share caring responsibilities with someone else, only one of you will be able to claim Carer's Allowance.

If you receive means-tested benefits, such as Universal Credit, Carer’s Allowance will count as income. However, you can get additional money added when calculating your means-tested benefits. This is called the carer element in Universal Credit.

Carer’s Allowance is subject to overlapping benefits rules. This means that if you receive one or more of the overlapping benefits, you will not be entitled to Carer’s Allowance, even if you meet the other eligibility criteria. Overlapping benefits include:

  • State Pension.
  • Contributory Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) or Employment Support Allowance (JSA).
  • Bereavement benefits e.g. Bereavement Allowance.
  • Incapacity Benefit.
  • Maternity Allowance.
  • Severe Disablement Allowance.

It can still be worth applying for Carer’s Allowance even if overlapping benefits rules apply. This is because you will be recognised as having an underlying entitlement, which may increase your means-tested benefits.

Claiming Carer's Allowance or the Universal Credit carer’s element can affect the means-tested benefits of the person you care for. If the person you care for currently receives the severe disability premium on means-tested benefits, they will lose this when you receive Carer’s Allowance. This does not apply if you are awarded an underlying entitlement to Carer's Allowance.

You can get Carer's Allowance backdated up to three months before the date you make your claim. This can be extended to more than three months when you claim Carer’s Allowance within three months of the date the person you care received a decision to award them a qualifying disability benefits.

To claim Carer’s Allowance, call the Carer's Allowance Unit on 0345 608 4321 or claim online.

For further information on Carer's Allowance, see the Carers UK guide.

What is a Carer's Assessment and how can I get one?

A Carer's Assessment is an assessment of your needs for support as a carer under the Care Act 2014. This applies to carers aged 18 or older.

It is the responsibility of the council where the person you care for lives to provide your Carer's Assessment. The assessment will look at how your caring role impacts your life and wellbeing. The council will then decide if you meet the eligibility criteria for support.

Please be aware that if assessed as needing a break from caring (respite), this counts as a service for the person you care for, and they may be financially assessed for their ability to pay for care and support.

If you are a carer in Croydon, see our section on Carer's Assessments.

Parents or carers of a disabled child or young person can receive a Carer's Assessment under the Children and Families Act from the 0-25 SEND Team on 020 8726 6400. The needs of parent carers should also be taken into account in any assessment of their child.

What are my rights as a carer?

Carers UK has a downloadable guide on your rights as a carer. This includes information on benefits, getting support, making decisions and rights in the workplace. See the question below on 'What is the Care Act and what does it mean for carers?' for more details about your rights as a carer under the Care Act.

What is Lasting Power of Attorney and how do I make one?

Lasting Power of Attorney enables a person to make decisions on behalf of a person who lacks mental capacity. Mental capacity is the ability to make and communicate decisions.

When making a Lasting Power of Attorney, the person who gives permission for someone to make decisions on their behalf is called a donor. The person who makes decisions on a person’s behalf is called an attorney.

There are two types of Lasting Power of Attorney: Property and Financial Affairs (which covers financial and property decisions) and Health and Welfare (which covers decisions about health and care).

When setting up a Lasting Power of Attorney for Property and Financial Affairs, a person can choose to allow their attorney to make decisions about finances on their behalf before they lose mental capacity. A Lasting Power of Attorney for Health and Welfare can only be used once a person loses mental capacity.

The attorney has certain responsibilities when making decisions on a person’s behalf. See GOV.UK for more information.

A Lasting Power of Attorney must be registered with the Office of the Public Guardian to be valid. Lasting Power of Attorney can be applied for online, but you will need to print out and send the forms with a written signature. A Power of Attorney is a legal document, but you do not necessarily need to involve a solicitor.

You will need a certificate provider to register a Lasting Power of Attorney. This is a person who confirms that the person making the Lasting Power of Attorney knows what they are doing and isn’t being pressurised or coerced. A certificate provider can be a professional, such as a social worker or solicitor, or someone who has known the person for two years or more and isn’t a relative or partner.

There is a £82 fee to register a Lasting Power of Attorney, but there are some circumstances where fees may be reduced/exempt. Check the Office of the Public Guardian website for more information.

Once a person loses the mental capacity to grant a Lasting Power of Attorney, only the Court of Protection can appoint a decision maker to make decisions on their behalf. The decision maker is called a Deputy.

Deputy application must be made to the Court of Protection. There are fees to pay to be a Deputy, including an application fee and an annual supervision fee, and a number of forms to fill in. It may therefore be helpful to plan ahead and consider appointing an Attorney at an earlier stage.

Age UK has more information on Lasting Power of Attorney.

Where can I find a good care home/home care provider?

Choosing the right care home or nursing home is an important decision and will depend on individual needs and circumstances.

The first step is to ask for a Needs Assessment from the adult social care department in the area where the person you care for lives. The person you care for can make this request or you can do so on their behalf with their consent. This assessment will provide professional advice on their needs and the support they require, and determine if their needs may be best met in a residential setting.

If the person you care for is assessed as needing a care home and the council is organising their care, the council should provide a list of homes that can meet their needs.

It’s important to try to visit care homes before making a decision. You may like to write down a list of questions to ask staff when you visit. Age UK has a care home checklist to help you know what to look for.

If you are looking for care and support in the home, there are a wide range of care agencies in Croydon who can provide this service. Croydon Care Directory provides a list of local private, voluntary and council care homes and care providers. Free copies are available at the Carers Support Centre.

You can also use online search tools to find a suitable care home or home care provider:

Care Home Advisor allows you to search for care homes and compare ratings. Ratings are provided by various agencies, including the Care Quality Commission, NHS Choices, Your Care Rating, Food Standards Agency and the Health & Safety Executive.

The Care Quality Commission (CQC) regulates all registered care homes and home care agencies in England. You can search for CQC registered care homes and care providers, and find inspection reports on their website.

Elderly Accommodation Counsel has an online database of care homes and other residential options for older people. They also have a list of home care providers.

The UK Home Care Association (UKHCA) has a database of home care agencies which have signed up to its code of practice. They also produce a leaflet called Choosing Care at Home.

Carers Support Centre logo

Carers Support Centre

Open weekdays 10am - 4pm, feel free to drop in for advice or support with any issues related to caring.
More information